Saturday, May 4, 2019

Sonic the Hedgehog

The newest trailer for the live action Sonic the Hedgehog movie has received can unreal amount of criticism.  Fans are complaining about how the CGI Sonic looks nothing like he does in the cartoons. Some things i noticed was that in the new preview, Sonic has a fur like texture, which should not be there because Sonic is a Hedgehog and is supposed to have quills.  Also, the new sonic had human like features, such as eyes, teeth, and body shape which I thought was extremely creepy.  Fans across the world have responded negatively to this trailer, and it has received almost half a million dislikes on youtube. 

I grew up playing the sonic DS games and watching some of the cartoons, and to me the preview wasn't too upsetting.  I think mostly because Sonic wasn't a big part of my childhood.  The people who have criticized the CGI developers most likely grew up with sonic and are disappointed because he is incorrectly drawn out, as I would have been if I grew up on the same cartoons.  I did think the new Sonic looked extremely weird and creepy.  Almost like a furry, which are weird people who like to dress up as half human half animal characters.  

The criticism has gotten so bad that the director announced that they will be changing the entire movie, and recreating Sonic to resemble his traditional appearance.  Hopefully the updated version meets people's expectations.  Personally I thought the movie didn't look like it was going to be good.  They had Jim Carrey as the villain, and although he is a funny actor, no amount of jokes can justify how corny and cheesy the movie looks, just from the preview.  The colors are so bright and cartoonish, which I guess they should be because Sonic is a cartoon character, but it just looks cheesy and isn't my type of movie.  I could be wrong but as of now the movie isn't looking to good


2 comments:

  1. Personally I didn't grow up with Sonic either but I know that giving him human teeth with deface the adorable NES character that so many before have loved. Although the surprising thing was the director crumbling under the pressure and remaking the entire movie just because the desire of the fans. The fact that the entire movie is bring redone just puts in perspective how much hate this movie was really getting and I've even seen death threats made to the director.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also grew up watching and playing the games so I thought the new trailer was really weird. Sonic does not have any of the qualities that he is supposed to have which makes me less interested in seeing the movie. Personally as of now I do not want to see the movie because of the bad CGI changes they made to Sonic.

    ReplyDelete